We have countless recipes and ways to make fruit ice cream. In the case of citrus ice cream, achieving a thick and creamy texture can be more complicated, especially if we do not want to use eggs or thickeners or unusual ingredients or that we do not regularly have in our pantry.
For get creamy orange ice creamcornstarch is a good option, as it will help us improve the texture of fruit ice creams with a high percentage of water, such as orange, especially if we do not have a good ice cream maker.
In this recipe, you can butter the ice cream manually or with an ice cream maker. For churn ice cream without an ice cream maker we can add air to our ice cream and avoid the formation of ice crystals in the following way: once we have made the base of the ice cream, we put it in an airtight container inside the freezer and, during the first 3 hours of freezing, every half hour we take it out of the freezer and mix it well with a fork or a few rods. After these three hours, we definitely put the ice cream in the freezer and we wait for it to take on consistency before serving it.
By following this recipe, we will obtain an orange ice cream that is much richer than any other industrially produced ice cream.@pandebroa.by.monikaprego
- Preparation time: 45 minutes
- total time: 45 minutes (plus about 5 hours refrigerated and frozen)
- portions: 8.1 liter
- Category: dessert
- type of cuisine: international
- Calories per portion (kcal): 405
Orange ice cream ingredients for 8 people
- 2 oranges
- 50g of inverted sugar or sweet honey
- 250ml whole milk
- 250 ml cream (35% fat)
- 70g condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (maizena)
- 1 orange for decoration
How to make orange ice cream for 8 people
We start by washing 2 oranges well. We grate the skin of both and squeeze them until we get 300 ml of orange juice.
In a blender, put 50 g of inverted sugar or sweet honey, if not add the zest of 2 oranges, 250 ml of whole milk, 250 ml of cream, 70 g of condensed milk and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Mix everything well until you get a creamy mixture.@pandebroa.by.monikaprego
Then, we add the 300 ml of orange juice and again, we beat everything for a few seconds so that everything is integrated.@pandebroa.by.monikaprego
Once we have the mixture ready, we put it in a container that we will take to the refrigerator for about 2 hours, so that it cools well.
After the cooling time in the fridge, all that remains is to butter the ice cream, which can be done manually or in an ice cream maker to obtain a more airy and creamy texture.@pandebroa.by.monikaprego
If you choose to churn the ice cream manually, you put it in the freezer and, for the first 3 hours, take it out every half hour, mix it well with a fork or a few stir sticks and put it back in the freezer. In case of opting for the shortbread in an ice cream maker, we will leave it in it for the time recommended in the instructions, which in our case was half an hour. When the ice cream is ready, we put it in a container with a tight-fitting lid.@pandebroa.by.monikaprego
We keep the ice cream in the freezer for at least 3 hours before serving it, so that it acquires consistency. After this time, we decorate our ice cream with a few slices of orange and we can serve the orange ice cream, delicious and very refreshing.@pandebroa.by.monikaprego
It is common for these fruit ice creams to get quite hard in home freezers, so it is advisable to take them out of the freezer a few minutes before enjoying them. Another option, especially on more special occasions where a better presentation is desired, is to prepare the scoops of ice cream in advance and store them already formed in the freezer. In this way, when it is time to serve the ice cream, we will simply have to place the balls in the container and decorate them. Thus, the ice cream will arrive at the table with the perfect consistency.@pandebroa.by.monikaprego
Overview of easy preparation
- Squeeze the juice and grate the skin of the oranges
- We put the orange zest, the inverted sugar, the cream, the milk and the cornstarch in the glass of the blender and we mix
- Add the orange juice and mix again
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- After the cooling time, butter the ice cream
- For manual ice cream, we stir the mixture every half hour while it’s frozen. In an ice cream maker, let stand 30 minutes or the time indicated by the manufacturer
- Transfer the ice cream to a container with a lid and store it in the freezer for at least 3 hours.
- To serve, take the ice cream out of the freezer a few minutes before or freeze the already formed balls